The Early Church
Churchyard & Old Registers Plan of the Church

The oldest surviving building in Wrawby is the church of St Mary the Virgin. There has been a church here since Saxon times. The village is probably of Danish origin and is shown as "Waregebi" in the Domesday Book, which tells us that in 1066 the village comprised a church with a priest and farming land, meadow land and woodland.

(Tap image for Domesday Book web page for Wrawby)
Churchyard and Registers

The graveyard surrounding the church was closed in 1857 when a new cemetery was opened on a larger site on the outskirts of Brigg. The original vicarage house was burnt down in 1713, when all the parish records were lost. The oldest register in existence dates from 1675.
The Church Building Today

(Tap image to open large in a new tab)
The current structure has a 13th-century tower and pillars. The font is 14th-century with a carved Jacobean cover. The advowson of the church (the right to nominate a new priest) was donated to Clare Hall at Cambridge by Elizabeth de Burgo in 1348. There is an altar tomb (1548) of the Tyrwhitt family, lords of the manor until the mid-17th century (a role later assumed by the Elwes family).
The Church Today

For everything relating to present church services, opening times and events, see our main Church page in the Information section.